My birthday month is almost over and I am going to squeeze in one more gift review with you. I love doing product reviews because I believe reviews from real people can be so useful. You can make an informed choice on your purchase from my experience. (I check reviews on all my somewhat major purchases)
A Little History
Before I get into the review I want to share a quick background on why I received this. Last Christmas I thought it would be fun to give to someone who needed a little fun in their day. I had been wanting to try out Redditgifts for awhile and decided to pull the trigger. Redditgifts works by matching up a giftee and giftor. You get to give and receive, but not with the same person. I thought it would be a great way to try out something I wouldn’t normally choose. I received this gift from a woman I have never met in Texas. What I loved about this gift the most are the thought and generosity. The best gifts are full of these things.
My 2 favorite types of gifts are experiences and gifts that promote self-care. These are great for mamas who need a little nudge to remember themselves.Alternatively, you could choose a few items to splurge on yourself if you need of a treat just for you.
My boys and I were excited to open the surprise package. They couldn’t believe someone who didn’t know me would send me a gift. When I opened it I discovered so many things.
- A handwritten card (This was a nice touch and made it personal)
- Soap and Glory Arch De Triumph Brow Pencil and Highlighter I love this brow pencil. This was my first brow pencil or highlighter and I am loving trying out new techniques. The colors are great and it goes on smooth. The one downside is sharpening it. I found a Wet n Wild makeup sharpener that works but is not ideal. Soap and Glory say they are developing one, but don’t have one yet.
- Soap and Glory Ultimatte collection of eye shadows.
- A super cute set of makeup brushes (It didn’t come in the package, so I don’t know what brand they are.)
- Joico Shampoo and Conditioner sample bottles
- Simply Clean Lotion by Ulta
- DDF Moisturizing Dew I really like having this on hand to add a little moisture to my face, especially in the months when my skin gets really dry.
- A Vintage Headband by The Vintage Cosmetic Company. At first glance, I thought this hairband might be staticky and I didn’t try it for awhile. It turned out to not have any static and was so soft I love using it. I usually wear it to keep the hair out of my face while I put on makeup. I wish I wouldn’t have waited so long.
- Yes To Blueberries These face wipes are good for sensitive skin like mine.
- Almay Smart Shade I was weirded out to begin with because it comes out white. The more you rub it, the more it blends in. It is now my go to foundation. It has nice light coverage which is what I love.
- Pantene 2 in 1 Classic
- Philosophy Pink Frosted Animal Cracker lip gloss This smells so dreamy!
- Soap and Glory Thick and Fast Mascara I absolutely love this. It is great for everyday mascara that separates your lashes but isn’t too heavy on the lashes. I have never had a problem with it gunking up either.
- Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker I have never used a lip plumper before and it was weird. I don’t see myself doing it again. It was a bit uncomfortable and not worth the pain.
- XoXo Makeup Bag (not pictured) I thought this was cute and a great size for all this makeup!
- Homemade Christmas Cd. I loved this gift, it was really personal and didn’t cost her anything but time. It was full of her favorite Christmas songs. Most of them I had never heard, which was surprising.
My favorite things are the brushes, the Soap & Glory mascara and the Soap and Glory brow highlighter. I never pictured myself a brow pencil gal, but I really like filling in the small gaps of my eyebrows and learning how to use the highlighter effectively.
This list is meant to inspire you and give ideas to start you on your way towards a great self-care gift. You could also include things like an assortment of tea, coffee pods, face masks, snacks, or chocolate (do this one!). I find that just making these gifts for someone can brighten my day too.
The Best Kind of Self-care Gifts
The best gifts are the ones that require nothing more than the gift (no planning needed). A generous self-care gift doesn’t have to be expensive, it really is the thought that matters the most. A gift like this can be for a birthday or an anytime type gift. If you aren’t sure what they like, give them a basket of your favorites to share. I guarantee they will remember for a long time to come.
Have you ever received a gift like this? What did it include?
(This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to click on them and make a purchase I may receive a small percentage at no cost to you)